Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Beef Cupcakes...It's What's for Dinner!




I truly did not wake up this morning and think, "I'm going to make a meatloaf cupcake today!" It was totally a whim.

I'm not a huge meatloaf fan, but my aunt Joni gave me a recipe a long time ago that I actually liked and remembered when attempting to plan meals this week. I really don't like onions in meatloaf or burgers, though, so I thought I'd change up the recipe. As I was getting out my broiler pan for the meatloaf, I saw the cupcake pan, and that was that, we were having cupcakes for dinner. Then inspiration struck as I remembered the IronCupcake: Earth July challenge was herbs! And so my basil meatloaf "cupcake" was born!

I'm a little unclear as to whether my "cupcake" will pass for IronCupcake, but it has oats and eggs in it, it looks like a cupcake, it has "frosting," and it has herbs, so why not?! I guess it isn't really cake based, it's meat based. That sounds gross...they really were delicious though! I'l admit when I think of a delicious cupcake and then think of a meatcake, it makes my stomach turn a little...

Oh, and a WARNING! You need to refrigerate these cupcakes! haha.

I now look at my pictures and laugh...I guess beefcakes are a little crazy...but hey, I get points for creativity! I should have made my french fry cupcakes for dessert!

The meatloaf cupcake is made with ground beef, oats, eggs, ketchup, and basil, plus a couple other things. The "frosting" is SO good! You glaze it on and bake it. It's made of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar! The fam loved it.

P.S. If you think I'm crazy now, wait until you see Monday's post!!!

Meatloaf or Beefcakes... Makes 2 loaves or approx. 24 meatcakes

2 lbs. ground chuck
3/4 c uncooked quick cooking oats
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4-5 basil leaves finely sliced into small pieces
1/2 c ketchup
1/4 c milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Topping/ "Frosting"
1/2 c ketchup
3 T brown sugar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard

Combine ingredients in large bowl. Shape into 2 (7 1/2 x 4 in.) loaves or balls that will fit in a cupcake pan. Place loaves on a lightly greased rack in broiler pan, or in a cupcake pan. Bake loaves at 350 for 40 minutes. Bake meatcakes 25 minutes. Take them out and put in a broiler pan to cook the rest of the 40 minutes.

For either type: Combine topping ingredients and spoon over meatloaf; bake 15 more minutes or until meat thermometer registers 160 degrees.

Okay, so this picture is TOTALLY a buzzkill on your appetite! But remember, you can still use the recipe for regular meatloaf, and it's a good one! I guess there is a reason you are supposed to cook meatloaf in a broiler pan! And okay, the picture below doesn't make you say, "give me a meatcake with fat baked around the edges!" But am I at least getting some laughs?

4 comments:

  1. Mini-meatloaves? What a novel idea! Found your blog through the Hive and look forward to reading more of your posts and trying your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! That's kind of cute! :) I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I hope you don't mind but I included your beefcakes in our yuck cupcake feature on www.partycupcakeideas.com I know they are not yuck in the true sense, but in a cupcake sense.. hmmm.. lol!

    ReplyDelete