Sunday, July 19, 2009

Messy Monday: Fondant Flop

When I made the Sesame Street cake for a friend's son's birthday, I had been excited to try fondant. It started good enough...I made a marshmallow fondant recipe that was easy and actually tasted really good! Click here to go to Peggy Weaver's tutorial.

This picture shows my result:

Looks like I succeeded, right? Wrong. I started rolling it with my pin that I thought was non-stick, and used corn starch like I was told, but I kept hitting sticky parts. Plus my counter was a huge sticky mess. I was not a fan...although the problem could be fixed with a cutting mat (that it turned out I needed anyway...keep reading!) or by patience while I was kneading...I didn't knead long enough and with enough powdered sugar. I guess I'm not the person to make fondant! So I decided to scrap using my marshmallow fondant, and use the premade fondant I had instead. This is my cake:
This is my fondant covered cake. I think it's headed to the cover of Martha Stewart! Okay, so my first attempt flopped. When I rolled it, it wasn't in the right shape I guess...I'm having a hard time remembering what my dodo brain was thinking! I think I put the cake on the fondant and tried to move it up to the top of the cake...at least I was smart enough to figure out that I was doing it backwards.
Since I am a determined person, I was not going to leave it at that! I rolled the fondant again.
You're probably thinking, "THERE you go!"
yes.......yes......it's working.......
Yay! Time to cut the excess...with my pizza cutter....
Voila!
Okay, here's another messy part of my experience...I got so into making the fondant letters, rolling my pizza cutter around to make them, that I didn't realize I had no mat underneath, and I made some cuts on my counter. Go ahead. Shake your head. I deserve it.
Got a kitchen catastrophe to share? Email kitchendoughdough@gmail.com to be featured on Messy Mondays!

2 comments:

  1. Fondant. Beautiful to look at. But so intimidating to work with. The first time I tried to make a fondant cake. I forgot to put a crumb coat on it before laying the fondant. Then I was wondering what went wrong.

    Great job! See if you would have quit. You would have not really been able to see what your potential is.

    Ps we all forget about covering the counter 8(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe. i may or may not have gouged my own countertops being a dodo. I refuse to clarify. ;-)

    ReplyDelete