Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sesame Street Birthday Party


I had so much fun making two cupcake towers and a cake for my friend's son's first birthday party! My friend and I looked on the internet and saw a TON of darling examples, so these are definitely nothing new! I used the examples we saw as inspiration to create the cake and cupcakes.

The birthday boy who turned 1!

Big Bird cupcake on a cake! I LOVE his legs! I was in a rush, so I didn't have time to make them look as good as they could have. They are made from mango laffy taffy sticks and fruit loops. I made the feet with fondant. Eyes are melted white chocolate, frosting, and mini choc chips. I made the beak from fondant. The feathers are made with a #61 decorating tip. I think a leaf tip may have worked well too.
Another view of the cake. My friend loved the sign she saw on the adorable cake by The Little Cupcakery. Click here to see the cake on flickr! Can I just give a shoutout to Australians?! So many of the cutest cakes and cupcakes I've seen were made by bakers in Australia! I made the sign with fondant...which was not my favorite thing to use for letters, I'm too impatient! I'll be posting about my fondant experience soon. (Get ready for a disaster averted!)

Mouths are made from Oreos, eyes are upside down white candy melts, blacks of eyes are made with a round tip and black frosting. Oscars eyebrows were my FAVORITE!! I used a basketweave tip and brown frosting. I also liked my idea to turn the cookie upside down for Oscar's mouth. Elmo's nose is a peanut m&m. Grover is seen in the top picture, made with a red m&m and a piece of red twizzler cherry pull-aparts.

Detail of cookie and big bird. Cookie Monster was SO easy! I just used a grass/hair decorating tip and stuck a cookie in his mouth! Below are a bunch of the Elmos! My friend and I's inspiration for the Elmo cupcakes came from Kara's Cupcakes. Be sure to hop over to her site to see her creations!

7 comments:

  1. Oh goodness- those are adorable cupcakes! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything turned out perfectly....I couldn't be more happy with the results! I love you girl! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, sesame street cupcakes have been done before, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying looking at yours!!! I love love love the big birds legs, very clever!
    I think the birthday boy looks like he enjoyed them immensely, and he is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cupcakes are A-MAZING!!!! Cupcakes are the happiest dessert EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cutest cupcakes! I'm definitely going to use these for my daughter's birthday party! She'll love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete