Friday, June 5, 2009

Would you like fries with that?

I LOVE the different examples of hamburger cupcakes that I've seen on the net...except how can you have a burger without fries?! 


The idea for these cupcakes actually came to me at church! The speaker made an analogy using McDonald's french fries, so naturally I was craving them...then later in our meetings, a child received a Kit-Kat for their birthday, and inspiration struck! Cupcakes in a french fry box with Kit-Kat fries! 

I loved making these because it was really easy...if you don't mind dealing with chocolate. (I hate cleaning up the mess after it hardens!) Even if you are a doughdough like me, you can make these for the dessert at your next BBQ!

French Fry Cupcakes How-to:


Step 3: Put the cupcake boxes on a baking sheet. Bake your cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. I had to bake mine for about 25-30 minutes. 

Step 4: Frost your cupcakes. I just used basic vanilla buttercream. Like the Star Trek boxes? At first I was bummed they didn't have ones with the BK logo on them, but then I figured Star Trek is popular right now, so kidlets would probably enjoy the box. 

Now you are ready to make the fries! You'll need mini Kit-Kats (they come wrapped in twos in a big bag in the candy section), white chocolate chips, and yellow icing color (or food coloring). 


Step 1: Prepare the kit-kats by opening the packages and breaking them apart. Put out some parchment or wax paper out on your counter to put the fries. 


Step 2: Melt the white chocolate in 20 second increments in your microwave. Stir after each time until it is smooth. 

Step 3: Add lemon yellow icing color or yellow food coloring to the chocolate and stir until it is the color of fries! 

Step 4: Put each kit-kat piece in the white chocolate individually. Use a fork to turn it around to the other side, lift it out of the chocolate, and place it on the parchment paper. Don't worry if traces of brown show from the Kit-Kat chocolate; it makes it look like they are toasted a little!


Step 5: After the chocolate has hardened, use a knife to saw off the excess chocolate. 

Step 6: Gently push the fries down into the cupcake, and voila, you have  french fry cupcakes! 


Another thing I tried was to add the cupcake mix directly into a McDonald's fry box that I had on hand. I used the reject fries in this one, but I like the pic! 

Note to Self: Don't bake with fry boxes that have had fries in them; the whole house reeked of burning grease! 

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, this is outrageous! very creative. best, s

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo creative and cool, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This is extremely creative! I'm going to love trying this out sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea!! I loved how they turned out. Also- I cannot get enough of your adorable cupcake party. I can't believe the amazing things you and Kara came up with. I am sitting here in awe at your creativity and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be a silly question, but what size french fry box did you ask for? ;)

    ReplyDelete