Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Completely edible Cupcakebabs!

Cupcake kebabs are all the rage right now on Cupcakes Take the Cake. Awesome baker Nora started it all (is she the next Bakerella?!), and I just had to create my own version! I am thrilled that they are now featured on Cupcakes Take the Cake too!

Mine are a little different...I tried to make them look like actual grilled kebabs!

I took these to my friend Kara's July 4th BBQ and they were a hit! Thanks Nora for the fabulous idea! Everyone was very impressed!


Here are the basics:

Pineapple slices aka Cut-up Lemon Wafer Cookies
Cherry tomatoes aka Red Velvet Cupcakes
Steak pieces aka Cut-up Brownie pieces

The look is completed with skewers aka chocolate pocky sticks which make the whole thing totally edible!!! (I know, I'm obsessed with Pocky lately!)

Detailed How-to:

1. Bake brownies in a 13x9 or similar pan. I used dark chocolate fudge-like brownie mix from Betty Crocker...they turned out great! Let the brownies cool. Cut out squares to mimic steak pieces. I was going to draw lines with frosting to make the "steak" look grilled, but I didn't get around to it.

2. Bake Red Velvet mini-cupcakes in Wilton's Brownie Pop Pan. Only fill a little so it comes out looking round like cherry tomatoes! I haven't solidified a baking time yet...just watch them and check with a toothpick. It took at least 20 minutes. I found the longer I baked them, the easier it was for them to pop out. I only have one pan so I had to keep refilling it while I was doing other things. (By the way, I made some other cupcakes with the mix...I am LOVING the red color! Not jazzed on the flavor, but I just used a mix for these.)


3. While things are cooling/baking, get your lemon wafers ready. Cut them carefully into squares. Prepare them to go on the Pocky sticks by gently rotating a real skewer into the middle of the cookie piece. I made one hole, then made it wider on all sides with the skewer. (The pocky sticks are the right size on the end, but you'll need bigger holes to fit around the part with the chocolate cream.)


4. You are ready to make the cupcakebabs! Just stick the pieces on the pocky stick! It worked pretty easily for me; I just had to make sure the brownies were cooled off a little so the chocolate cream didn't melt off.


We ran out of kebabs at the BBQ, so I made some more using real skewers...


3 comments:

  1. These are so cute!! I love your idea to use Pocky! They are one of my favorite treats. My husband and I gave them away as party favors at our engagement party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look like you just took them off the grill! What a great variation and I bet they were a hit at the party!
    BTW, very cute blog. I'll have to spend some time and see more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cupcakes without frosting?!?! Sacriligious! Besides, most kebabs have a glaze or sauce or some sort - next time you should serve them along side a frosting glaze...but no double dipping allowed! Too cute! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete